Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Le Hurel, St Ouen
Type of property
Working farm with 19th century origins. Main house rebuilt in 20th century. Morville House was requisitioned by the Germans in 1941. The property became part of an integrated network of defensive structures known as the Morville Haus resistance nest, which also incorporated nearby Trodez House.
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- Le Feuvre - For over 100 years Morville House formed part of the estate of the Le Feuvre family. In 1864, following the death of his brother Edouard, before whom it had belonged to their father Philippe, who married Nenné Bichard. it passed to Philippe jnr, who was born in 1825 and had been the Deputy for St Ouen for eight years. In 1867 Philippe also acquired nearby L’Etocquet House in similar circumstances from his sister, Jeanne.
In 1856 the States introduced a Law for the election of Parish deputies. Philippe d’Auvergne became the first Deputy of the Parish of St Ouen when he was elected, unopposed, in January 1857. The concept of contested Deputy elections seems to have taken a little while to have been embraced among the St Ouennais, as it was not until 29 years later that the parish had its first contested election.
In 1886 the sitting Deputy H P d’Auvergne decided he would not seek re-election after five years in office. Philippe Le Feuvre decided to stand. On 11 December the Jersey Weekly Press and Independent reported that there was to be a contested election, with Mr Le Feuvre to be ‘seriously opposed' by Mr F O d’Auvergne, brother of the retiring Deputy. Mr Le Feuvre stood as the Rose Party candidate, and Mr d’Auvergne for the opposing Laurel Party.
In the ballot on 14 December Mr Le Feuvre came out on top with 168 votes to Mr d’Auvergne’s 133.
Philippe married Elizabeth Le Cerf at St Ouen’s Church in 1856, and they had one son, Philip Edward, born in 1860. In 1861 the family were living near La Botellerie, east of Trodez, but after Philippe acquired Morville House, he and his family amoved into the property.
In 1889, Philippe stood again for election for Deputy and was again opposed by Mr d’Auvergne. Philippe increased his majority to 65 and in the 1891 census he was shown as ‘member of the States’ and ‘farmer’.
He was Deputy for 12 years, standing down in 1898 aged 73, after having been elected, unopposed, for one final three-year term in 1895. He continued to live at Morville House until his death, aged 89, in 1914.
He left Morville House to his sole surviving heir, his granddaughter, Florence Alice Le Feuvre. She married John Bailhache Le Feuvre at the Town Church in 1907 and they had five children – Elaine, Kathleen, John, Philip and Edward – all of whom were baptised at St Ouen’s Church.
Florence was living at Morville House with her family and her grandfather at the time of 1911 census, and appears to have remained there up to the point that the property and farm were requisitioned by the Germans in 1941.
Florence moved to Rose Lea in St Martin, where she lived with her husband, John. Her daughter Kathleen had left Jersey before the Occupation, and her three sons, Philip, Edward and John (or Jack), had ventured even further afield by emigrating to New Zealand in the 1930s.
When Florence died in 1959, her estate was divided among her children. John and Edward were left Morville House and Morville Farm respectively, but, having both established themselves on the other side of the world, neither had any need to keep the property or land. In November 1959 John sold Morville House to Vivien Hogg and a few months later in March 1960, Edward sold Morville Farm to Douglas Richardson, whose family continued to grow Jersey Royals at the farm into the 2020s.
- Amette: Elsie Marie Amette, née Georgelin (1900- ) was living here in 1941
Historic Environment Record entry
A fine example of a late 19th century farm range, with nearby rare 16th century arch. Two-storey, seven-bay combination outbuilding range.
Elliptical arched carriage entrance. Farmhouse substantially rebuilt 20th century. Also of interest is archway in roadside wall - an 11-piece depressed arch in pink granite circa 1550.
The house interior was renovated in recent times, as a consequence the only original features visible are two stone fireplaces. The one in the ground floor west room is a recently reconstructed 18th century example, and that in the east room is a reconstructed 19th century type. The original timber A-frame roof survives intact.
Old Jersey Houses
There is no mention of this property, despite the existence of the roadside arch