Queen Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search



Shoppingicon.png


Queen Street


QueenStreet1953.png

Decorated for the coronation in 1953


For a long time somewhat in the shadow of King Street, at its western end, Queen Street is part of St Helier's main town centre pedestrian precinct and is today, as it has been for many years, a major shopping street

Queen Street, looking east, in the 1930s

Just as nobody is certain which monarch King Street was named after, the same is true with the origins of Queen Street. Neither merits a mention in Balleine's History of Jersey. Raoul Lempriere's Buildings and Memorials of the Channel Islands suggests that the street was named after Queen Charlotte, the consort of King George III, after whom King Street was reputedly named. That would put the change of name to some time between 1782 and 1818.

Edmund Toulmin Nicolle's The Town of St Helier records that Queen Street was at some time known as Rue du Milieu (the middle street) and Rue es Porcqs, after the family Le Porcq who lived there. The only other reference is to the presence of the General Post Office in the street for a short time.

The street in the 19th century, long before it was paved. No traffic in sight, but the tracks of carriages on the street surface indicate that it was a busy thoroughfare

Commercial development

The street began to develop as a commercial centre in the early years of the 19th century. The first years for which any reliable records of businesses operating there exist are 1833 and 1834, when The Strangers Guide to Guernsey and Jersey and Abraham Le Cras' Guide to the Island of Jersey were published. They did not give full listings of traders operating in St Helier streets, but between the two it is possible to assemble a reasonably accurate picture of those on either side of Queen Street.

Since the properties in the street were first given numbers - probably in the 1810s or '20s, those on the south side have carried even numbers, and those on the north, odd numbers. Unlike many streets in the centre of St Helier, there have been no changes to the basic numbering, apart from the introduction of some half numbers when properties were subdivided.

Although King Street and Queen Street are today separated by Halkett Place, which runs from north to south between the two pedestrianised streets, Queen Street was in existence before Halkett Place was constructed. There was a junction before then, however, with Morier Lane connecting the ends of King Street and Queen Street with Hill Street, and Hilgrove Street emerging on the opposite side.

Property histories

Jerripedia has traced the history of traders and families along the length of the street from 1833 to the present day in two articles, covering the two sides of the street:

and now we have detailed histories of individual properties:

No 1 No 2 No 3 No 4 No 5 No 6 No 7 No 8 No 9 No 10
No 11 No 12 No 13 No 14 No 15 No 16 No 17 No 18 No 19 No 20
No 21 No 22 No 23 No 24-24½ No 25 No 26-30 No 27 No 29 No 31 No 32
No 33 No 34 No 35 No 37



GalleryHeader2.png


Christmas shopping in 1936
1945 - still driving on the right shortly after the Liberation

Planning officers' record

The first set of pictures was taken by planning officers in 1968 as part of a project to record all the town streets

A Henry Allix photograph
A hand-tinted photograph of Henry Allix's shop in Queen Street
Father Christmas outside G D Laurens in the 1930s
1970s

Queen Street businesses

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs