Ville es Gros

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Jersey houses
St Lawrence:
Ville es Gros


Although this inscribed gatepost is now at Ville es Gros, it was moved there from Le Couvent House and is not believed to record occupants of Ville es Gros

Although this St Lawrence farm is included in the second volume of Old Jersey Houses there is no description of the property, just a mention of some of its datestones and the suggestion that it could be the location of 'John Walsh's 14th century stronghold'. A passing mention in connection with a neighbouring property, Les Sts Germains, in volume one indicates that a field called Le Vieux Chateau is part of the property. 'The owners have always heard that there was an old castle there, and it seems extremely likely that this is the site of the older Walsh house. The occurrence of the word chateau here is most significant, and unique among field names.'

Elsewhere in the book the author wrote:

"There is evidence that some Jerseymen fortified their homes in the Middle Ages. The house which Wallis (Walsh) built at Les Sts Germains in the 14th century was known as a chateau."
1748 datestone unusually set at roof level

Historic Environment Record

Fortunately there is an entry for Ville es Gros in the Historic Environment Record:

"18th century farm group, altered and extended in 19th century, retaining historic features and character. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. Five-bay, two-storey farm house, wing of farm buildings to the east connected by an arched opening, new extension being added on the west side. Further farm buildings and new cottage to the north. Main house: Front (south) elevation: Slate roof. Stone chimneys with dripstones. Stone copings with unusual datestone to gable kneeler. Randomly coursed squared granite with long and short quoins. Four-panel door, the top two glazed. Rear (north) elevation: Outshot. Slate catslide roof. Random rubble. Farm wing: Brick elliptical arch connecting to main house. Slate roof. Random rubble, the first floor clearly a later extension. Ground floor openings with stone quoins, brick lintels; first floor openings with brick surrounds. Doors and windows are new as part of residential conversion. Farm buildings to the north are rendered with corrugated metal roof and random rubble with slate roof.


  • - MHM 1664 - might stand for Hamon. Upside down in the entrance to the eastern outbuilding. The first letters are unreadable
  • 17 IGD IHM 38 - for Jean Godel and Judith Hamon, married in St Helier on 22 April 1737. Jean was born in St Lawrence, possibly at this house, in 1712. Lintel above door at rear
  • 17 AGD IGL 48 - for Abraham Godel, of St Lawrence, and Jeanne Le Gallais, of St John, who married in the latter parish on 2 August 1729. Although no baptism record has been found to confirm it, Abraham is believed to have been Jean's elder brother, born in about 1705. It is unclear why his connection with Ville es Gros should have been at a later date than his younger brother's. On the south-east corner of the roof
  • CRD ELM 1839 - for Clement Rondel and Elizabeth Le Masurier. Gatepost at roadside, resited from Le Couvent House.
  • ZHR ♥♥ DD 1990 a stone on a new house at the property, for Zena Hamon Rondel and David Drieu.
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs