From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

Broadfields, St Lawrence


This picture shows the 18th century central part of a long Jersey farmhouse built in three distinct periods

Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

The thatched single-storey building on the left may be the Broadfields Cottage referred to in Old Jersey Houses

Property name


Other names

The property has lost its traditional name on being divided into two units of accommodation

  • La Vieille Demure
  • Maison du Mitan


Les Chanolles des Six Rues

Type of property

17th and 18th century farmhouse, now divided into two units


There are no registered transactions of the property under any of the above names, but there is a record of a 2018 sale of Broadfield House for £2.4 million. This may be one of the modern properties constructed around the old Broadfields

Families associated with the property

History of ownerships

This old farmstead has three sections of very different vintages. A gable stone with the initials RLG 1675 (or 1676) indicates that the western end of the property is by far the oldest. The eastern wing is believed to date from exactly two centuries later and the central portion to around 1744. The property was in the Langlois family for many generations.

The different sections of the house have now been renamed as it has been divided into three properties.

The oldest section, whose datestone relates to Raulin Langlois, is now known as La Vielle Demure.

The middle house has been renamed Maison du Mitan and bears a datestone over the front door with the initials

In December 1839 Philip Marett purchased Broadfields from Jean Vibert. Philip was a great grandson of Jean Langlois and Rachel Le Cras. The 1841 census records Philip living at Broadfields with his wife Esther Elizabeth Janvrin, sons Henry and Frank, daughters Sophia and Jane, and one servant. On 22 January 1842 Philip Marett sold Broadfields to Edouard Esnouf, son of Edmond the shipbuilder.

By 1849, Godfray's map shows the occupant of the property as E Gibaut.



  • RLG 1675 - For Raulin Langlois
  • 17 ILG RLC 44 - For Jean Langlois and Rachel Le Cras, who were married in St Lawrence on 17 July 1737
  • ILG 1746 RLC
  • PRM 1660 - For Philippe Remon
  • PRM 1774 - For Philippe Remon [1]
  • CDP♥ERN 1725 - For Charles Du Pré and Elizabeth Renaux (Renault) who married in St Mary on 11 March 1705 - this stone is in the garden of a modern bungalow on the site of former Broadfields barns
  • CDP♥ER 1719 - also attached to a modern property on the site of the barns
A satellite view shows clearly the three sections of the original farm, with a recent new-build on the right. The single-storey building shown in the picture at the top of the page, possibly the Broadfields Cottage referred to in Old Jersey Houses, seems to have disappeared and been replaced by another new building. A further new building has been constructed on the other side of the rear entrance to the properties

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

Previously known as Broadfields, La Vieille Demure, a 17th century farmhouse, has a good survival of some original interior features and south frontage. La Maison du Mitan is a mid-18th century rural house with good survival of its south facing frontage and fine stonework. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Old Jersey Houses

The entry in Volume 1 is very brief, and hardly befitting a property of this importance:

"This property is mainly interesting in showing us at a glance styles of architecture of three centuries side by side. The furthest west has a gable stone with RLG 1676, the central portion is dated 1744, and the eastern wing 1876"

Broadfields Cottage: An addendum refers to Broadfields Cottage, without indicating whether the author was referring to a part of Broadfields itself, or a different property. [2]

She described it as a rare example of an apparently 17th century single-storey house. She notes that there is a single-room extension on the western end with a stone roughly incised with PRM 1774, as well as a gable stone with the inscription PRM 1660, which, added to the ownership shown on Godfray's map of P Remon, suggests that the property was owned by the Remon family for some two centuries, and is distinct from Broadfields.

Notes and references

  1. It has not been possible to identify a family tree which would tie in with these initials
  2. The pictures on this page suggest that it was not part of the three-section main house, but may have been the thatched building to the left

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs