Mont Cochon Farm

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

Mont Cochon Farm, St Helier


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through


Property name

Mont Cochon Farm

Other names


Rue de Trachy, St Helier

Type of property

Farm with 17th century origins


Families associated with the property

  • Le Gros: In the late 20th century the house was owned by the Le Gros family, seigneurs of Meleches, although it stands on the fief of Prieur de l'Islet de Mont Cochon

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A farm group with 17th century origins with an excellent example of a traditional 17th century Jersey double archway accessing a walled courtyard.

The farmhouse retains some external historic features including notable carved kneelers.

The outbuildings retain their historic character and group value. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

The two-storey, four-bay farmhouse has single storey, with attic, outbuildings to the west. South of the farmhouse is a detached barn. This is connected to a single storey building to the southwest by a double archway leading into the farmyard.

Old Jersey Houses

This property is most notable for its 17th century arch, rather than the much younger house itself. The double entrance arch has been dated to about 1660 but the house is of early 18th century construction. It may once have had a tourelle staircase, which has now disappeared.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs