No 23 King Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


23 King Street


No 23
In this 1968 photograph, No 23 is below 'ING' in the motor racing banner

The building

Historic Environment Record: This mid-19th century building contributes to the streetscape character, with its scale and decorative features. Three-storey, two-bay. Front elevation: roof unseen behind parapet. Parapet end piers support spiked spheres. Projecting cornice with dentilled decoration. Walls rendered with ashlar and keystone effect. Moulded architraves on windows, first floor retain scroll brackets on sills.


The first trader at 23 King Street, which stretches through to Vine Street behind, was watchmaker and silversmith Henry Ireland (1806- ), who was married to Elizabeth de Gruchy in 1835. Their son Henry Charles was probably born at No 23 in 1836.

The Ireland family had been established in Wemyss, Scotland, over many generations, and although there are suggestions that Henry was born in Jersey, and most of his younger siblings certainly were, there is no record of his baptism in the island and it seems more likely that he arrived with his parents John and Mary Ann Malloch, some time between 1806 and 1815. The record of his marriage to Elizabeth indicates that he came from London.

He is listed by Frederick Cohen and Nicholas du Quesne Bird in Silver in the Channel Islands as having set up in business at 23 King Street in 1832 and subsequently moved to Broad Street before 1845, when he was listed in an almanac as silversmith, jeweller and watchmaker. The authors suggest that he was probably the son of J Ireland of Brideport, but online trees suggest the Wemyss connection.

The next occupant of No 23 was Samuel Martin, an auctioneer, who was recorded as living there in 1841, but may not have run his business there.


He was followed at No 23 King Street by chemist Charles Thomas Anderson, who was born in England in 1806 and married Betsey (1818- ) in Jersey. In 1851 they were there with three-year-old son Charles and Charles’ Guernsey-born niece. By 1861 they had three children, Charles (1848- ), Elizabeth (1853- ) and Emma (1851- ).


By 1871 the premises were occupied by woollen draper Philip Garnier (1842- ) and his wife Esther Pallot (1839- ), who remained there until 1903. His advertising shows that he was much more than a draper, offering made-to-measure clothes, silk and felt hats, silk cravats and the best shirts, among other things, and guaranteeing the style and cut of the clothes manufactured by his business as 'perfect'.

Philip, baptised Philippe, was the son of Josue and Jeanne Chauffray, of Trinity. He and Esther had a daughter, Esther, born in 1872.

He was followed by another chemist, George Le Seelleur, who was probably at No 23 until 1919. He may have been George Thomas, the son of Frederick and Mary Ann Chant, but we are not certain of this.

From then until the Occupation the premises were occupied by Oldridges and then Boyce, Redfern and Co, but we have no information about the type of business they were engaged in.

For 25 years from the start of the Occupation to 1965, grocers Home and Colonial stores were trading from No 23.


  • 1834 - H Ireland, watchmaker and silversmith
  • 1841 - Samuel Martin, auctioneer
  • 1851 - Charles Thomas Anderson, chemist and druggist
  • 1861 - Charles Anderson, pharmaceutical chemist, druggist and cupper
  • 1871-1910 - Philip Garnier, woollen draper
  • 1912 - George Le Seelleur, chemist
  • 1919 - Oldridges
  • 1930 - Boyce, Redfern and Co
  • 1940-1965 - Home and Colonial Stores, grocers
  • 1970 - Matisse
  • 1980 - Millets, camping and outdoor leisure equipment
  • 1990 - Lawrence
  • 2000 - Esprit

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs