No 28 King Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search



W16StreetLamp.png


28 King Street


Voisin1890s.jpg


Voisin's in the 1890s

H22Voisins.png

This was the first property purchased by Voisin's, in 1840, as the business, which was founded three years earlier, began to expand. At the time of the 1841 census it was also home for the business's founder Francis Voisin (25) and his wife Jane (25), and children Jane, John and Francis.

The building

The Historic Environment Record entry covers the whole of Voisin's King Street buildings: A notable department store, with early 19th century origins, that retains an elegant exterior and defines the streetscape character of this section of King Street.

Francis Voisin founded Voisin and Company as a haberdashery shop at 26 King Street on 15 April 1837. Acquisition of neighbouring properties continued throughout the 19th century. Major refurbishment works were undertaken in 1933.

Principal frontage to King Street, three-storey, six-bay. Front, south elevation: series of pitched slate roofs set back behind decorative parapet. Walls rendered. Heavy, moulded cornice with foliate brackets and dentil course to underside. Bays defined by full height Corinthian pilasters. Second floor windows on west bay have moulded architraves with bracketed sills. First floor windows have eared, moulded architraves with console brackets over.

There is the curved staircase with cast iron balusters in the eastern section - No 24.

Chronology

  • 1834 - Philip Le Capelain, brazier (maker of brass articles) and coppersmith
  • 1840 - Acquired by Voisin's
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs