No 34 King Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search



W16StreetLamp.png


34 King Street


King-Street-1950s.jpg


During the 1950s: No 34 is on the left, beyond Le Masurier's on the corner, and occupied by the Gift Shop. Beyond it are the taller properties belonging to Voisin's

R B Colley and Co at No 34 on the right, opposite Hamons

The building

Historic Environment Record: C1860-1870 building which has good quality architectural detailing and a strong character at ground floor level, continuing west to turn the corner [1]. Originally single-storey, with later rooftop extension. Gateway leads to lane which sits directly above a brook, which gives Brook Street opposite its name. Two-storey, three-bay with adjacent passageway to east. Front elevation: Set back first floor is 20th century addition with parapet, panelled rendered walls and three windows. Ground floor topped by painted render balustrade over cornice with foliate brackets to soffit and dentil decoration. Corinthian columns (capitals painted) define each bay. Segmental arches of bays are of rusticated, rock faced stone.

Occupiers

The first recorded occupant of 34 King Street was Robert Watts, who appears in an 1834 trade directory as a soap maker. He was followed by ironmonger Mr Garland, in 1837, and tallow chandler Joseph Watts, who is shown as resident in the 1841 census with his 50-year-old wife Letticia, and children Mary Ann and Sarah. Robert and Joseph were presumably related (possibly brothers), but neither appears to have been born in Jersey and there is no record of Robert and Letticia's marriage in Jersey, nor of the birth of their daughters, but they did have a son Robert born in 1827, who died and was buried within a week of his birth.

The Watts were followed by cloth dealer and woollen draper Abraham Brenfeldt, from Austria, whose residence is recorded in the 1851 census.

Occupiers

Widow

In 1861 the occupant was widow Johanna Shapcott (1819- ), a boot and shoe maker employing six men and six women. She was born Johanna Treff, in Ireland, and married Jean Queree in Jersey in 1837. Their son John (baptised Jean) was born in 1838 and daughter Johannah followed in 1840. Her husband died in the same year.

In the 1851 census she is shown living at 2 Columbus Street with her two children. She is listed as Johannah Geach, described as the 'widow of a superannuated boatswain'. There is no record of her second marriage, nor of her third, which must have taken place within the next two years, because she had daughters Mary Ellen and Ada Shapcott in 1853 and 1855. Mary Ellen's birth year in subsequent censuses varies from 1854 to 1855 and Ada's from 1855 to 1858.

By 1861 she was widowed again, presumably from a boot and shoe maker, and running the business at 34 King Street.

Ten years later she also appears to have died because her widowed daughter Johannah, who had been married to piano dealer John Hutton Snook, is head of household at No 34.

In 1861 she was living at 28½ Bath Street with her husband John and children Henry (1859- ), Matilda (1860- ) and John (1861- ). The couple had two further children, Evelyn (1864- ) and Jessie (1866- ), and all five are living with Johannah in 1861, as well as her stepsisters Mary Ellen and Ada Shapcott. The boot and shoe making business seems either to have moved or closed down because Johannah is described as an annuitant.

In 1866 Philip Benest was advertising his business as a hatter and tailor at No 34, but it is not clear whether he had a shop at street level or operated from rooms above.

Chemist

In 1880 the occupant is shown as chemist Antonio de Orellana, who had previously been in business across the street at No 29.

He was followed by Cooper and Company, tea merchants, from 1890 until the end of the century, when tailors R B Colley and Co took over the premises, remaining there until the Occupation.

After the war The Gift Shop traded at No 32 for 30 years, followed by Barratts Shoes.

A comparison of this 21st century photograh with the one in the box at the top right taken in the 1950s shows that the free-standing two-storey building with a pitched roof on the first floor of No 34 has been brought forward, close to the line of the shopfront below, widened, but reduced to a single storey with a flat roof

Chronology [2]

Cooper&Co.jpg
  • 1834 - Robert Watts, soap maker
  • 1837 - Garland, ironmonger
  • 1841 - Joseph Watts, tallow chandler
  • 1851 - Abraham Brenfeldt, of Austria, cloth dealer and woollen draper
  • 1853 - John Seymour Fowler, printer
  • 1861 - Johanna Shapcott, boot and shoe maker
  • 1866 - Philip Benest, hatter and tailor
  • 1871 - Snook family, residents
  • 1880 - A de Orellana, chemist
  • 1890 - Cooper and Company tea merchants
  • 1900-1940 - R B Colley and Co, tailors
  • 1949-1980 - The Gift Shop
  • 1990 - Barratts Shoes

Notes and references

  1. This statement suggests that No 34 turns the corner, but although it has a continuation of the same architectural style, the corner building is No 36
  2. Many of the start and end dates given for businesses are approximate. As more business advertisements and other records are discovered the dates will be adjusted
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs