No 35 King Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


35 King Street


The building

A prominent, high quality example of a late Victorian shop which retains a fine, historic shop front, and is a showpiece of the period. 1896 shop operated as jewellers by the Maine family until 2009. Evidence of 18th century origins of Vine Street building, including style of hopper heads. Corner building. Four-storey, Four bays to north, corner bay, six bays to west. North elevation: hipped, slate roof. Fishscale, tile hung fourth floor behind parapet with three windows. Walls rendered. Small cornice at gutter level.

Shop entrance recessed on corner behind columns. Double two-panel doors, upper glazed, with overlight. Lion and unicorn plaque over cornice, flag pole projecting over.



There seems to be some confusion over the surname of the early occupants of 35 King Street. The occupant in 1834 and 1837 commercial directories is named P Grigry, a grocer and the same year E and A Grigry (perhaps his wife and daughter) were shown in buinesss as milliners. But at the 1841 census the premises appear to have been occupied by draper Philip Gregory.

From then on the drapery business was run by Matthew Grigriy, and then his widow Lucy, until the 1880s.

Exactly how the surname was spelt is unclear. The 1851 census return for the property, allowing for the consistently poor writing of the enumerators, shows the occupant as Math Grigriy. This is supported by Jerripedia's family records database, which shows successive generations of the Grigriy family in the 18th and 19th centuries. The name is clearly spelt Grigriy in the 1861 census, when Matthew was living with his wife Lizzy, from Guernsey.

It appears that the family name was spelt Grigueray when William arrived in Jersey before 1718 and married Jeanne Le Feuvre. Their son William (1718- ) married Elizabeth Le Gallais (or Le Gallie) in 1743. We have been unable to find a baptism record, but we believe that they had a son Philippe around around 1750, who married Elizabeth Dutot.

Their son Philippe married Elizabeth Le Brun in 1807, and among their nine children was Matthieu, born in 1818, who married Lucy.


There is no confusion from 1885 onwards. The property passed to jeweller F Hollinshead, and then CT Maine, the London Jewellers, who were in business there for over a century before the property was finally sold in the second decade of the 21st century.

Silver, the definitive work on jewellers and silversmiths in Jersey, refers to two men called Holinshed, or Hollinshed, both working at 35 King Street, one with the initial F, the other H.

The book says that H Holinshed purchased the business of John Le Gallais in 1874, selling it to Charles Maine in 1890.

However, all references in almanacs and elsewhere are just to F Hollinshead. This was Frederick, a silversmith and clockmaker whose name first appeared in 1877, on the dial of a French clock presented by the Jersey Eastern Railway Company. We suspect that H Holinshed was a misprint. Certainly in 1891, by which time the business had been sold to C T Maine, Frederick Hollinshead and his wife Mary were still resident at 35 King Street, with daughters Helen (1866- ) and Ethel (1879- ) and son Charles (1870- ) described as a jeweller. Frederick was described in the census return as a retired jeweller, at the age of 50.

There was a Henry Clifford Brock-Hollinshead, born in England in 1852, who moved to Jersey and died at Bon Air, Bellozanne, in 1909, but it is not certain that he was anything to do with Frederick.

C T Maine

The founder of C T Maine was Charles Thomas Maine, born in St Helier in 1866, the son of Thomas Maine and Louisa Belford. Thomas moved to Jersey from England with his wife and they had two further children after Charles Thomas - Louisa Harriet (1869- ) and Frederick James (1872- ).

C T Maine was married twice, first in 1891 to Minnie Maud Rich Walker (1874- ) and then to Kathleen Marjory Louise Pye (1899-1987) Charles and Minnie had two sons, Thomas Charles, born in London in 1892, and Percival Frederick, born in Jersey in 1900. Both sons served in the Army during the Great War, Thomas as a Captain in the Royal Field Artillery, and his younger brother, a Bombardier in the Honourable Artillery Company, in the latter stages of the conflict.

In Silver he is described as 'a retail jeweller, optician, and watch and clock repairer who, in 1890, purchased the business of H Holinshed, formerly John le Gallais, and continued the practice of overstriking his mark on other men's goods'.


Chronology [1]

  • 1834 - P Grigry, grocer
  • 1837 - E and A Grigry, milliners
  • 1841 - Philip Gregory, draper
  • 1851 - Matthew Grigriy (32), draper
  • 1861 - Matthew Grigriy (42), draper
  • 1871 - Lucy Grigriy, widow, linen draper
  • 1880 - Mrs Grigry outfitter
  • 1885-1890 - F Hollinshead, jeweller
  • 1890-2010 - C T Maine, the London Jewellers
  • 2010 - Jack Wills, now closed


Notes and references

  1. Many of the start and end dates given for businesses are approximate. As more business advertisements and other records are discovered the dates will be adjusted
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs