No 51 King Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


51 King Street


1942, and Beghin's is to the right of the centre of the picture, under the clock



The first recorded occupants of No 51 were drapers and tailors Falle and Ahier, in 1837.

The residential part of the property was empty according to the 1851 census, but merchant Collas Jouault, who came to Jersey from Granville with his wife Berenice and daughter Claire, appears to have been trading there then. Berenice died in 1854 and Collas was at No 51 with his daughter. At the 1851 census he was trading next door at No 53 King Street.

In 1871 the property was again unoccupied. By 1880 the premises had been taken over by boot and shoe makers Beghin's, who were still trading there until they closed in 2019, albeit no longer under family ownership.

Further reading

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs