No 59 King Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


59 King Street


59 King Street, on the right on the corner of King Street and Ruette Haguais, was home to the Glamour Gift Shop in the 1970s when Le Riches new outlet, Maison Le Riche, was being built on the opposite side of King Streeet

P C Gallichan's mens' outfitters La Belle Jardiniere was at No 59, on the right, when this picture of King Street was taken in the first decade of the 20th century

In 1833 B Retallick was in business at No 59, making boots and shoes. Also registered at the property was gun maker P Le Boeuf. He was followed by a Mrs Le Cras, who was listed in an 1837 commercial directory as a baker and confectioner.

Le Marquand

By the 1851 census stationer Kosciusko H Clarke, from England, is living with his wife Elizabeth Westear, daughter Mary, and brother-in-law Thomas Westear. By 1861 they have moved away and widower John Le Marquand (1821- ) is established at the premises as a grocer. Descended from a Guernsey family, John (baptised Jean) was the son of Nicholas and Jeanne Le Gros Bisson, of St Mary. He married twice, probably to cousins, Mary Le Gros Bisson and Jeanne Selina Le Gros Bisson.


John Le Marquand was followed at No 59 by hatter and clothier William Henry Netten (1821- ) who appears in the 1881 census with wife Emma, nee Geach (1826- ) and daughters Matilda (1853- ), Elizabeth Fanny (1857- ) and Alice (1860- ). The couple had four other children - Mary (1847- ), Maria (1849- ), Jane (1858- ) and Isabella Rosanna (1862- ).

The premises are shown as unoccupied in the 1891 and 1901 censuses, but P C Gallichan's mens outfitters La Belle Jardiniere is known to have been operating there from 1885 to at least 1900, and probably several years beyond.

This was Philippe Charles Gallichan, and although there are two possible fits, we believe this to be the son of Philippe Gallichan and Anne Cooper, born in Trinity in 1816.

He was followed by Philip Hamon's refreshment rooms which appear in a 1912 almanac listing, and J R Rowland's tobacconist, which operated in the inter-war years. That was followed by a succession of cafes and restaurants, the Silver Grill, Chez Louise, Cafe Normandie, Pascall's, de la Poste and Jersey Pottery.

Restaurant de la Poste was on the first floor of No 59.

This advert had us puzzled for some time. We hope that Mr Gallichan, proprietor of La Belle Jardiniere, was not required to pay for its publication in a 1880s almanac. He didn't do much better with his 1896 newspaper advert below. His premises were 59 King Street and 18 Broad Street, as correctly identified in the other advertisements lower down


  • 1833 - B Retallick, boot and shoe maker; P Le Boeuf, gun maker
  • 1837 - Mrs Le Cras, confectioner
  • 1851 - K Clarke, stationer
  • 1855 - Franklin's fancy repository
  • 1861-71 - John Le Marquand, grocer
  • 1881 - William Netten, hatter and outfitter
  • 1885-1901 - La Belle Jardiniere, men's outfitter: P C Gallichan
  • 1912 - Philip Hamon, refreshment rooms
  • 1919-1940 - J R Rowland, tobacconist
  • 1948-1950 - Silver Grill
  • 1955-1965 - Chez Louise
  • 1955-1970 - Cafe Normandie [1]
  • 1970s - Glamour Gift Shop
  • 1980 - Pascalls Restaurant
  • 1990-2000 - Besants grocers and De La Poste restaurant
  • 2010 - Jersey Pottery cafe

Notes and references

  1. Almanac listings during this period suggest that Cafe Normandie, which was on the first floor above Chez Louise, may have stretched above the first floor of the adjoining No 57
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs