No 67 King Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


67 King Street


Pied Piper at No 67 in 1972, with Sound Engineering newly arrived next door at No 69

If the two shops further along the street at No 65 and No 63 were aimed at French visitors in the years before the First World War, No 67, when run by Rudolph Frederick Shaw, was marketed as the place for the English to buy their souvenirs and postcards.


The first record we have for the property shows C Robinson, one of the street's earliest hairdressers, trading there in1837.

Broker and outfitter

In 1851 the census shows Isaac Benjamin Asher (68), a broker and outfitter, living with his wife Mary, son Solomon, who assisted in the business, daughter Esther, who helped her mother in the house, and youngest daughter Diana, who was still at school. The family had come to Jersey from London. An older son, Morris, remained in London and emigrated to Australia.

Davey family

The 1861, '71 and '81 censuses show the property unoccupied, although C and J Mallet are known to have run a grocery there in the mid 1880s. In 1891 the Davey family was in residence, with watchmaker Charles (1857- ), born in St Brelade running his business, assisted by his wife Emma (1862- ). They had three children, Pauline (1884- ), Madaline (1885- ) and 4-month-old Dorothy. Charles' nephew William Murray (1869- ) was also living with them. By 1901 they have another daughter, Kathleen (1896- ) and Madaline is recorded as Jessie M.

In 1911 Emma was widowed. Still with her at home are Jessie Madaline, Kathleen Constance, and Dorothy and her new husband Rudolph Frederick Shaw. He is described as a foreman in the census, but he was soon running the business at No 67, no longer selling watches and clocks, but souvenirs and postcards. As did many businesses of this nature, it failed to survive the downturn of the First World War, and by 1919 drapers Southwood and McKenzie are trading at No 67, where they would remain until the 1960s.

They were followed by ladies clothing shop Dorothy Perkins, before it moved to larger premises in Queen Street, and then by Maison Mohair, House of Gold, Senett and Spears and Benetton.

Chronology [1]

  • 1837 - C Robinson
  • 1858 - A Hutchings, bnoots and shoes
  • 1885 - C and J Mallet, grocers
  • 1891-1912 - Charles A Davey, watchmaker
  • c1914 - R F Shaw, souvenirs and postcards
  • 1919-1960 - Southwood and McKenzie, drapers
  • 1965-1970 - Dorothy Perkins
  • 1980 - Maison Mohair
  • 1990 - House of Gold
  • 2000 - Senett and Spears
  • 2010 - Benetton

Notes and references

  1. Many of the start and end dates given for businesses are approximate. As more business advertisements and other records are discovered the dates can be adjusted
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs