No 69 King Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


69 King Street


Sound Engineering have just moved in during 1972, but there is no shop sign yet

In 1851 John Le Neveu was a master baker working at No 69, where he lived with his wife Betsey Nancy (nee Much), daughter Elizabeth and two of his four workers. There is no sign of the family in the 1861 census, when No 69 was occupied by tailor Edward Romeril and his family.


After the Romerils left, the occupants of No 69 for some 30 years were involved in an altogether different trade from tailoring - selling guns.

19th century advert in French

Armourer Henry Vint (1835- ) was the occupant shown in the 1871 census. He was living there with his milliner wife Emma Elizabeth, nee Gee (1833- ) and children Emma (1857- ), Henry Charles (1859- ), Henrietta Amelia (1861- ) and Clara Emily (1863- ).

Ten years later the property and the business had been taken over by gunsmith John William Hunt (1841- ), who was living with wife Elizabeth (1845- ), nee Blampied, and one-year-old son John, who had been joined by 1891 by Laura, Edith and Henry. John's father, also John, was a boot and shoe maker who came to Jersey from England, where he married Amelia Fauchon, a dressmaker. The 1901 census shows John living with his four children with his 84-year-old mother at Havre des Pas. John, at 59, is described as a retired gunsmith. His brother Robert was in business next door at No 71 and his nephew Stanley would later run the Old Curiosity Shop in Conway Street.


John Hunt was apparently followed at No 69 by Fryer and Co, the nature of whose business is unclear. The company is shown in an 1890 almanac listing, but John was still resident with his family at the census a year later. By 1901 widow Mary Marett (1870- ) was running her grocery shop, living with her son Arthur (1893- ) and uncle James Drummond (1824- ), a retired carpenter.

Alphonse Le Hayee (1854- ) was next to run a grocery at No 69. He was living there in 1911 with his wife Stephanie (1858- ) and sons Alphonse (1890- ) and Theodore (1892- ). Alphonse was in business at least until 1930, and was followed by Southwood and McKenzie, and then Sound Engineering in 1975. This business was followed by Senett and Spears and Benetton, both businesses occuping the two adjoining properties.

Sound Engineering

Jerripedia editor Mike Bisson has fond memories of Sound Engineering:

"I spent many happy hours in the company of Barry Roche listening to music played on the latest hi fi equipment. These were the days of vinyl records, and then compact discs, long before our music came to us via the internet to be stored on iPods and the like. Barry Roche was undoubtedly the most knowledgeable supplier of music reproduction equipment in Jersey for many years, and one of the most successful, managing to support the high rent for his King Street premises through the sale of a relatively small number of high value items.
"And there was always an excellent selection of second-hand equipment to complement the latest innovations because I and many loyal Sound Engineering customers would regularly trade up record decks, amplifiers or speakers."

Chronology [1]

  • 1851 - John Le Neveu, baker
  • 1858 - F H Gascoyne, hairdresser
  • 1861 - Edward Romeril, tailor
  • 1871 - Henry Vint, armourer
  • 1880-1890 - John William Hunt, gunsmith
  • 1896 - Pharmacy
  • 1897-1903 - Boots and shoes
  • 1900 - Fryer and Co
  • 1903 - Mrs Mary Marett, grocer
  • 1912-1930 - Alphonse Le Hayee, grocer
  • 1940 - Southwood and McKenzie
  • 1972-1990 - Sound Engineering
  • 2000 - Senett and Spears
  • 2010 - Benetton


Notes and references

  1. Many of the start and end dates given for businesses are approximate. As more business advertisements and other records are discovered the dates can be adjusted
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs