No 8 Royal Square

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

8 Royal Square


The date of this photograph is uncertain. It has been suggested that it was taken as early as 1852. That would explain why no records have been found in almanac directories of A La Civette, the business on the ground floor of the building on the left

The south-west corner of the Royal Square in 1880. The numbering of properties is uncertain, but we believe that the four buildings in the terrace are, from left to right, Nos 6, 7 and 8, and the Grand Hotel du Calvados, which was listed in Church Street, its main entrance having been on the corner. The United Club building on the right of the image is now shown as No 10 Royal Square, which begs the question of where No 9 was located. It is possible that the hotel on the corner was listed in the Royal Square in some almanac directories. There are certainly census records for No 9

Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

Property name

8 Royal Square

Other names

States Building


Royal Square, St Helier

Type of property

Former town house and shop, demolished in the 19th century and incorporated in 1931 into expanded States Buildings [1]

Unlike No 7, for which there are no street directory listings in the 20th century, No 8 is shown in almanac listings as accommodating various Government offices, before it was redeveloped as part of the States building in 1931. There are no census returns for the property, indicating that nobody was living there.


Although we have records of the States buying Nos 4 and 5 Royal Square, and the derelict Grand Hotel du Calvados building in 1897, we have found nothing to indicate when Nos 6 to 9 in between passed into public ownership

Families and businesses associated with the property

Almanac listings

  • 1886 - Carteret Steamship office
  • 1890-1930 - HM Receiver-General's office
  • 1915-1930 - HM Solicitor-General's office

Notes and references

  1. There is some confusion over numbers in this corner of the square. Late 19th century almanacs show the United Club at No 7, but its official address was, and remains, Church Street, where it's entrance lies. The United Club is above the Office of the Superintendent Registrar, which is now listed as 10 Royal Square.
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs