Petits Hiboux

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

Petits Hiboux, St Lawrence


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through


Property name

Petits Hiboux [1]

Other names



Mont Isaac, St Lawrence

Type of property

Farm group built from 17th to 19th centuries


Offered for sale in 2021 at £2,750,000

Families associated with the property

  • Le Veslet: The family which gave its name to the district Ville au Veslet, and in turn to this property
  • Remon: Occupation records show a number of families living at Ville au Veslet, St Lawrence, but the only one which can positively be linked to this property was the Remons - Charles Anthoine (1877- ) and his daughter Louise Deborah (1901- ). The property was still owned by the family until it was sold in 2002


  • FRM 1694 - For Francois Remon
  • IRM ♥ RPH 1739 - For Jean Remon, son of the above, and Rachel Poingdestre
  • IRM 1822 - For Jean Remon

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A notable example of an historic farm group comprising buildings from different periods pre-1700 to mid-19th century.

Site includes rare survival of former POW hut from Blanches Banques camp, circa 1915.

Previously known as Ville-au-Veslet. There is a datestone inscribed ' Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Farmhouse and outbuildings which form a coherent group. The main house is principally pre-1700 (possibly as early as circa 1500) with later remodelling, most notably the addition of a dressed granite front wall with 12-pane sash windows, circa 1822.

An early date is indicated by the fireplace corbels on the east gable and two small windows - one with wooden splats and the other with an iron bar.

There is an 18th century fireplace on the west gable. The back wall preserves tourelle doorways on both floors.

There are squared granite chimneys with dripstones and areas of thatch surviving in situ. Adjoining is a two-storey pressoir, circa 1739, with a single storey outshot to the rear which extends to behind the main house. The pressoir contains a rare 18th century wooden twin-screw cider press.


To the south is a circa 1822 three-bay wing with ashlar granite facade, 12-pane sash windows, a front door with decorative overlight and granite chimneys.

The back wall includes some reused features from an earlier structure, such as a corbel from a fireplace.

There are many original internal features of note including a mahogany staircase, timber fireplaces, six-panel doors, panelled window reveals, and a stone-flagged floor to the entrance hall.

Continuing the wing to the south are rubble granite outbuildings comprising two stables, a cart shed and lofts. There is also a small range of outbuildings stretching into the garden to the east, including a bakehouse and pigsty.

The site now includes a former POW hut from Blanches Banques camp, circa 1915. Likely to have been an accessory building rather than an accommodation hut. The building is of significant historic interest as well as having rarity value. The hut has a timber-frame construction covered with corrugated iron.


Old Jersey Houses

Listed in the second volume as Ville au Veslet. There are references to two properties of the same name, but with no indication of where they are located in relation to each other.

The entry for this property refers to the datestones, window shapes and the cider trough and press in a ground floor room.

Estate agent's description

In 2021 the property was offered for sale with the following description:

'This most beautifully restored and historic traditional country home is perhaps one of the most authentically refurbished properties to have come to the market. Parts of the property date back to the 17th century and the scheme of restoration has been exhaustive, and highly detailed, with most of the inner external walls being lime rendered and the roof being extensively thatched. The scheme effectively brought this historic home back, from a virtual state of ruin.
'A most excellent range of family orientated accommodation is now provided, with a total of six reception rooms, eight bedrooms and six bathrooms. The accommodation incorporates two integral relative/ guest wings and in addition there is a detached cottage unit.
'Very few homes in the island possess the enormous character that is offered by this property.'

An expert on thatching suggests that this is the only property in Jersey with the correct type of thatch:

'The present owners bought the derilict property in 2002 and completed renovated it. The present owners bought the derilict property in 2002 and completed renovated it. This was a major project, and due to the angle of the roof they knew it must have been thatched at some point, but they had to convince planning. Now the property is quite extensive with a beautiful Norman thatch topped with a lime render - the only thatch in Jersey to be the correct type.'

Notes and references

  1. The name means 'little owls'
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs