Saint Mary

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Saint Mary


Catel de Lecq

Saint Mary has fewer inhabitants than any other Jersey parish. It is situated in the north west and covers an area of 3,604 vergees

1976 stamp

The parish and its church derive their name from a mediaeval monastery, probably destroyed during Viking raids some time between the 8th and 10th centuries. In 1042 William the Conqueror gave "Saint Mary of the Burnt Monastery" to the abbey of Cerisy.


Among the natural attractions of the parish is a feature known as the Devil's Hole (Lé Creux du Vis), a blowhole in the coastal cliff. The descent into the Devil's Hole used to be accessible to visitors and was a lucrative tourist attraction, but it has been closed off for decades. Following a shipwreck in 1851, when the ship's figurehead washed up in the Devil's Hole, a statue of a devil adapted from the figurehead was set up above the Hole. This wooden statue was replaced by a succession of modern versions in the 20th century.

Mourier Valley runs down the boundary between St Mary and St John. The stream formerly powered a number of mills despite the scant population of the area.

Crabbé is the location for pistol shooting.

Grève de Lecq lies on the border between St Mary and St Ouen. On the east side of the bay, in St Mary, lies Le Catel de Lecq, an ancient earthwork. In the bay, Le Moulin de Lecq, an old watermill was converted into a residence in 1929 and following the Second World War became a pub, while retaining the wheel and remnants of the gears.

The parish stands upon course-grained granite, 'of Saint Mary's type'. This granite was formerly quarried for building.

St Mary is twinned with Longues-sur-Mer, a commune of the département of Calvados, Normandy.


The parish is divided into vingtaines for administrative purposes as follows:

  • Vingtaine du Sud
  • Vingtaine du Nord

The parish forms one electoral district and elects one Deputy.

A quiet parish in 1913


Saint Mary has the smallest population of all the parishes in Jersey, having only 1,591 residents in 2001.

Parish church


  • Historic Jersey, W S Ashworth, Jersey 1993 (no ISBN)

External links


The parish village development under construction in 1974 - Jersey Evening Post aerial photograph

Planning Office pictures

This set of photographs of the same locations in 1964 and 1978 was taken by planning officers

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs