St Blaise

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Historic Jersey buildings


St Blaize, St John


W18StBlaiseStone2.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

H21StBlaizeStJ1.jpg

Property name

St Blaize [1]

Other names

St Blaise

Location

Rue de Fremont, St John

Type of property

18th century country house on the site of an ancient chapel

Valuations

Sold for £1,715,000 in 2021

Families associated with the property

  • Le Marinel The house was owned by the Le Marinel family for ten generations as evidenced by stones inscribed ILM ♥♥ 1818 and 18 TLM ♥♥ MR 89. OJH made no attempt to identify the Le Marinels for whom these stones were carved. The Jersey Datestone Index offers no information on the former, but records that the second stone was carved for Thomas Le Marinel, son of Thomas, and Marie Remon, daughter of Helier, who were married in St John on 9 May 1889. The first stone is an example of Jersey datestones with a raised section left to carve the initials of a wife, who for some reason never appeared.

As their family tree shows, Thomas was the son of Thomas, himself the son of another Thomas. We believe that the property may have passed to him from his father Jean, following the death of his elder brother, Jean Clement, and his only son, and that it was this Jean for whom the ILM 1818 stone was carved. However, this is purely conjecture, because there seems to have been no other Jean, or another Le Marinel whose given name starts with J, alive at the time.

Strangely Jean and Esther Le Gros, although both from St John, were married in St Clement in 1782, and this may have been the reason why they gave their first-born son the second forename Clement, which is found nowhere else in the family.

In 1901 farmer Thomas Le Marinel (1859- ) and his wife Mary, nee Remon (1864- ) were living here with their son Thomas (1892- ) and daughter Evelyn (1894- ), as well as Thomas' widowed mother Ann (1817- ), his sister Louisa Walmesley (1848- ), and his father-in-law Helier Remon (1835- )

Datestones

W18StBlaiseStone1.jpg



  • 1771 - no initials, believed to record building date
  • ILM ♥♥ 1818 - For Jean Le Marinel
  • 18 TLM ♥♥ MR 89 - For Thomas Le Marinel, son of Thomas, and Marie Remon, daughter of Helier, who married in St John 9n 1889

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

18th century house with extensions early and late 19th century, all recorded by datestones.

Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. The chapel was probably built to fill the void due to the suppression of the Priory of Ste. Marie de Bonne Nuit in 1413. It is mentioned in Coutanches' Register of 1507 as "capella seu capellania Beatnorum Blasii et Margarete".

The name, with the addition of St Margaret, and the large area known as La Couchette ès Nonnes suggests that at some point the site was occupied by men and women and was considered a monastery or convent. The hamlet the monastery would have stood in was called La Place de St Blaise which was noted in the Extente 1607 as "the ground of St Blasee". The remains of the chapel include the thick north wall of the farmhouse and the buttress of a small building which is traditionally known as La Chapelle de St Blaise. [2]

It has been suggested that the neighbouring property, La Porte, covers the site of monastic quarters but there is no evidence to prove this theory.

It is thought that most of the original structures were demolished around 1771 when the farmhouse was built. The dissolution of the chapel would have been in 1550

Old Jersey Houses

This farmhouse contains part of a very thick wall and buttress which Joan Stevens in Vol One says was 'without doubt' part of the Chapel of St Blaise, named after the bishop of Sebaste in Armenia who was martyred in AD 316.

The author believed that the present house was built in 1771, because there is a stone in the north wall bearing that date.

Notes and references

  1. Although historically St Blaise, through its association with the ancient chapel the house name is now spelt with a 'z'
  2. HER uses the spelling St Blaize to refer to the original monastery but 'z' was not a recognised letter in this era and it is only in recent times that the property's name has changed from St Blaise
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs