States Building

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search



Statesicon.png


States Building


StatesBuilding5.jpg


Building bounded by the Royal Square on one side and Hill Street on the other, which houses the States Chamber and Royal Court

The Royal Court, and the States Chamber below
States Chamber.jpg

Accommodation

The States Building houses the Royal Court, the States Chamber, the Bailiff's Chambers, the Law Officers' Department, the States' Greffe and the Law Draftsman's Office, the old library, the Law Library and three Committee Rooms.

The Royal Court House has always stood on the site of the present building and can be traced back to the 12th century. Subsequent reconstruction and building was carried out in 1648, 1769, and 1879.

Meetings in Court

Until the late 18th century the States Assembly had no Chamber of its own and met in the Royal Court. After a further period of reconstruction to the Court buildings undertaken between 1864 and 1866 the States yet again were compelled to sit in the Royal Court.

Plans drawn up

In March 1876 a plan was drawn up by the States architect providing for the establishment of an assembly room above the strong rooms then in the course of construction on the States property east of the Court House. By the end of October 1879 the strong rooms were completed, the top portion still remaining unfinished and no decision yet reached as to its final use, although an Act had been lodged on 20 October 1879 recommending the establishment of the States room. An alternative plan was presented to the States in early 1880, to which, some two years later the States gave their approval. At the same time the States decided to advertise the competition for the submission of plans for the new premises west of the Court House on the site of two houses recently purchased. It was proposed that the site would accommodate the new library and the Greffe offices. By 25 June 1886 the Library and Greffe offices were completed and handed over to the States. The library was opened to the public on 1 December of the same year.

Chamber opened

In the meantime the question of the proposed assembly room was still under consideration. Eventually the States gave their approval and on 21 June 1887 - the 50th anniversary of the accession of Queen Victoria to the throne - the present Chamber was opened. It is in early Jacobean style - oak - nine large panels carved and panelled and moulded in plaster of paris, and 12 pilasters with shields (on which it was intended to paint the 12 parish crests).

During the past 100 years very few alterations have been made to the Chamber, the most recent being the installation of microphones on members' desks. In 1919 a tablet on the wall to the memory of Sir Walter Raleigh (Governor of Jersey 1600-1603), was erected at the expense of La Société Jersiaise. A second tablet was erected in 1995, again a gift from La Société, commemorating the 50th anniversary of the liberation of the Island from enemy occupation.

The Banner of Arms of the Sovereign of England that hangs over the Presidential dais is of the same heraldic significance (three gold leopards on a red ground) as those on the Public Seal granted to Jersey by King Edward I in 1279. It was placed in position on the occasion of the visit of HM King George V and HM Queen Mary to the Island in 1921.

The States building viewed from the Royal Square

Library moves

The library which opened on 1 December 1886 remained in that location until it became necessary to construct new and larger premises, which are now located in Halkett Place. The new premises were opened by Queen Elizabeth II on 25 May 1995.

The old library (as it is now known) in the States Building has been converted. The upper floor now accommodates the Law Library, used by all legal offices, and the conveyancing section of the Law Officers' Department. The main room at the lower level is used for a variety of purposes, including meetings of the Court, Committee Meetings, presentations, functions and receptions.

More offices

As the administration of the States and Royal Court outgrew the accommodation available, the States decided that additional accommodation should be provided. In 1934 the construction of a new wing on the west side of the existing building was completed - on land that had been derelict since 1885. This extension houses the Law Officers' Department, States' Greffe and Law Draftsman's Office, and a meeting room.

As there was urgent need for additional accommodation for the judiciary and the legislature, the States, in 1987 purchased 2-10 Halkett Place, and subsequently purchased 21 and 23 Hill Street. The new building, Morier House, rises opposite the States Building.

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs