From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

Terre Bonne, Grouville


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org


Property name

Terre Bonne

Other names

  • La Perronelle
  • Terrebonne [1]


Rue es Philippes, Grouville - Overlooking Queen's Valley Reservoir

Type of property

Extensive farmstead with 18th century origins


No recent transactions

Families associated with the property


  • 17 CAB ♥ IF 78 - For Clement Aubin and his wife Jeanne Falle. It is known that Clement and Jeanne were married in Grouville in 1761, and that Clement was born in 1741, the son of Clement and Sara Neel. However, his ancestry beyond there is in some doubt. We have several conflicting family trees on our Aubin page, and the father of Clement snr here is variously shown as Philippe, Thomas or another Clement. We have not been able to find a marriage record for Clement and Sara Neel, and are still working to try to resolve the anomalies in the trees.
  • SN 1751 - For Sara Neel

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

This is a cohesive group of farm buildings developed over the centuries exhibiting historic features from each period.

The interior retains its integrity of plan and comprehensive historic features and, of particular note, the unusual staircase ceiling.

La Perronelle: This cottage, with 18th century origins, retains its historic character and features. It, along with the neighbouring historic properties, contribute to the rural setting. This building is shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Cottage and outbuilding were renovated to make one building in 1963. Single storey, four-bay with converted single storey outbuildings adjoining to the west. Projecting from the central north bay is single storey wing.

Lintel in north wall inscribed 1757 in Roman numerals. Adjoining converted outbuildings. Pigsties in garden.

Terre Bonne: This building is shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. The south section dates from 1778, extended with east wing and deepened to the north in 1825. Two-storey, five-bay house with single storey, two-bay wing to east. Further 20th century flat roofed extension and pigsties beyond. Converted outbuildings to west, returning south.

On the west boundary is a carved, chamfered round arch and adjacent opening with flat lintel, rought from Le Rivage, Gorey in 1970s.

Old Jersey Houses

Terre Bonne is shown in Vol Two as being in Rue du Puits, but the current address is given as Rue es Philippes. The property does have a boundary with Rue du Puits, but the two main drives are from Rue es Philippes.

It is not clear whether the 1778 datestone marks the construction of this house, but it is believed to be of similar vintage. The main bedroom has its end wall completely panelled in a style which could be as late as 1778. Extra ground floor rooms were added in about 1820 and the dower wing is dated 1825.

The house adjoins a private lane, Ruelle de Ravenel, which may either be a reference to wallflowers growing there, or to the surname Raveney, which is found in 17th century records.

Notes and references

  1. Found in some records as one word, others as two. The spelling Terrabonne in the datestone register is a mistake
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs