Ville au Veslet

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Jersey houses
St Lawrence:

Ville au Veslet


Ville au Veslet Farm, the older of the two properties

Ville au Veslet consists of a group of listed buildings, renovated and extended in the 21st century

Joan Stevens' Old Jersey Houses, Vol 1, records two houses in St Lawrence named Ville au Veslet, both in the district of the same name, and on Mont Isaac. One is now known as Ville au Veslet Farm, to distinguish between them.

The district and the properties were named after the Le Veslet family, which settled in St Brelade in the 16th century. The farm, the older of the two St Lawrence properties, probably dates from the late 17th century, and a gable stone is inscribed 1694.

The 1849 Godfray map shows the owner as J Gallichan. This could be one of a number of Jean Gallichans born in the parish in the early years of the 19th century.

Historic Environment Record entries

Ville au Veslet

A mid-18th century farm group retaining original features and character. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. Refurbished and extended 21st century. Former farm group comprising main house, five-bay, two-storey with wing to east side, and two-storey farm building range forming wing on west side. Early 21st century extensions sympathetic to original farmstead. House: Front (south) elevation: Slate roof with new crested ridge tiles; stone chimneys. Random rubble. Window surrounds with uprights, heightened. Wing: Pantile roof with stone chimney. Random rubble. Dressed stone quoins and quoined window surrounds. Farm building has hipped tiled roof with new crested ridge tiles and rooflights. Stone chimney. Random rubble.

Ville au Veslet Farm

A historic farmstead of 17th century origins retaining original features and character. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. Group of farm buildings consisting of four-bay, two-storey main house with two- bay, two-storey dower wing on west side and outbuildings, later extended to two storeys on the east side. Single storey 19th century block. Main house: Front (south) elevation: Corrugated metal roof. Stone chimneys with thatch stones, rendered where thatch has been removed. Random rubble with large quoins on junction with dower wing. Three first floor windows have accolade lintels, chamfered sills and uprights that have been heightened. Ground floor windows also with uprights have been heightened and lowered. Quoined door surround with transom light, in third bay. Dower wing: Front (south) elevation: Corrugated metal roof. Stone chimney with thatch stones. Random rubble with quoins on gable end. Window surrounds with uprights that have been heightened by 2-3 quoins. Very small opening to right of porch. Outbuildings at right angles to right include a datestone. Low random granite roadside wall.


Ville au Veslet Farm

  • FLG AVB 1818 - François Langlois of St Lawrence and Anne Vibert of St Peter married in St Helier in 1806

Ville au Veslet

  • FRM 1694 - François Remon married Jeanne Pinel in 1690
  • IRM RPD 1739 - Jean Remon, son of above François married Rachel Poingdestre of St John in 1727
  • PFDLC ILL 1825 - Philippe François de la Court and Jeanne Le Lièvre of St Martin married in 1820

Family trees

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs